One of the most important considerations before beginning a new website development project is deciding if you will use a custom-designed and built website or a template website that can be customized. Let’s dive in and look at the pros and cons of each.
What is a Template-designed website?
Choosing from a preset group of house plans offered by a home builder is similar to using a template website. Customization is possible under the builder’s restrictions, but choices are restricted to what has already been installed. The key difference is that there are many more website design choices available on the internet than there is a standard number of specs houses offered by a builder.
Advantages of template websites
- Fast and easy. If your site is content-ready, it can be installed and configured within a week.
- It is cost-effective. If you know what you’re doing and are patient enough to grasp some of the essential criteria, you can also get a theme built for free. You may also hire a specialist to set up and customize your website for a little money (add your logo, change out colors, set up the widgets).
- Designs that are simple and modern. There are some fantastic themes available right now. It’s not the same as it used to be.
Disadvantages of template websites
- No customization: You’re usually locked into a design and configuration when you use a prototype.
- Sometimes bloated: To function as seen in the demo, a template can be bloated with code and heavy plugins.
- Possible security issues: Some free themes could contain “dirty” code, which means the template contains harmful or malicious coding (security holes) added by a hacker.
What is a Custom-designed website?
A custom website is one that was created from the ground up with your company in mind. Yes, many websites adopt traditional website framework rules, which is why we instinctively know how to navigate many of the websites we come across. On the other hand, a custom design is one in which the structure, navigation, back-end GUI, and any other element of the website are versatile and changeable.
When you work with a design team that can combine their experience of optimally performing and visually pleasing design with the goals you have for your business, you’ll get a one-of-a-kind and strategic web presence.
Advantages of custom websites
- Customizable to your goals: The website designs created will be one-of-a-kind for your hearing practice. It will integrate the company’s identity and be fully customized to suit the current and potential growth needs to achieve the best possible results.
- Better for SEO: The site will be designed with search engine optimization in mind (SEO). With Google emphasizing different aspects of your website – speed, keywords, meta descriptions, and even URLs – SEO-friendly is one of the most important things about your website. According to studies, internet users prefer URLs that are simple, concise, and easy to understand.
Disadvantages of custom websites
- More expensive: A custom website can cost more because it necessitates more involvement in terms of preparation, strategy, design, and development phases that are specific to your company. However, you would not be required to pay for additional services such as themes, CMS services, or subscriptions.
- More time: Creating a custom-built website takes longer than creating a template site. This is because it is a back-and-forth process between the client and the custom website provider.
- More upkeep: Your site will expand in tandem with your company, necessitating hiring a design and development support team to add pages and new features.
Which one should you pick?
A template design could be your best choice if you’re on a tight budget and need something done quickly. Some companies only need a website that serves as a virtual brochure and don’t have specific strategic objectives. Use a template if custom design isn’t a priority.
You should invest in a complete custom-built website if you have specific business needs and are looking for a website to fit your marketing plan. Also, if you have a complex content system that requires careful organization, custom design is the way to go.
Ready for a custom website for your practice? We’re here to help! Contact us today for a consultation.